Editor's note: The following blog entry is based on experiences from Smarter Travel's company trip to Cancun, which took place from January 11 through 15.
A few Smarter Living employees spent part of a day exploring the Mayan ruins in Tulum. I asked them for tips to pass along, and here's what they said:
- Go early or late to avoid the heat and cruise ship tours of midday.
- There's a beach that's accessible from inside the ruins, so bring a suit and snorkel gear if you want to enjoy all that Tulum offers.
- Get a guide to take you through the ruins to get the most out of the experience. Those piles of rocks don't often tell the best stories by themselves.
- There are restrooms and a snack bar outside the ruins.
- If you want to feed the iguanas, know that they only eat the red flowers, not the orange ones.
Thanks Dan T., Dave Z., Molly, RaeJean, Sarah, and Zak for your ideas!
If you have other questions about the ruins at Tulum, send them to me and I'll ask my sources and post answers.