National Ice Cream Day has passed, but National Ice Cream month lasts through the end of July, and really, who needs an excuse to eat ice cream, anyway? Readers responded to our recent round-up of top ice cream spots around the U.S. with dozens more suggestions for fantastic ice cream.
By my unofficial count, two shops got more reader attention than any others. October10 is among the readers to suggest Graeter's: "If you're ever through Cincinnati or Columbus Ohio, you won't be disappointed with very rich Graeter's Ice Cream. It's even been noticed by Oprah. All the chocolate chip flavors have big hunks of dark chocolate surrounded by very rich ice cream. My favorites are coconut chip or black raspberry chip. Ask anyone from this area and they will usually rave about these parlors with marble top ice cream tables."
Jeni's in Columbus, Ohio, has plenty of devoted fans too: Lungching notes "Jeni's in Columbus Ohio will ship! My favorite is Queen City Cayenne: Rich chocolate with back-of-the-throat spice. Finish is tingly and complex. Best ice cream since I helped make it on Grandma's porch."
There were so many great suggestions we needed a map to keep track of them. So go ahead, browse your region or the destination on your travel horizon to see what you can look forward to (zero in on a region by using the buttons on the left side of the map):
View Reader Favorites- Ice Cream in a larger map
With recommendations like this, an ice cream tour of the U.S. seems entirely appropriate. Here are some more suggestions from readers:
- "What Happens in Vegas...Well, next door in Henderson anyway, stays in your stomach for such an enjoyable ice cream treat made with liquid nitrogen! Atomic #7 Trustworthy Treats offers a wide variety of made-to-order ice cream, yogurt, & smoothies from vegan ingredients or full-on, high-test cream," says photonut111.
- "Don't forget to go to Sundae School--Cape Cod . Fresh homemade ice cream and whipped cream-made in small batches make this the place to go when you have an ice cream craving after a day at the beach," says Mamnnp
- "In the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul) there is a war between Izzy's and Sebastian Joe's for the best ice cream. I love them both. Izzy's made a mascarpone ice cream that was to die for, and Sebastian Joe's pistachio is the best I have ever eaten. The lines on a summer night at both stores is around the block. Go early! " says wbeeman.
- "There is no ice cream on earth to compare with Tropical Dreams created on the Big Island of Hawaii and sold at select shops throughout the Hawaiian Islands. The ingredients are all locally grown and the cream is from the company's herd of cows. Indulge once and it becomes one of the reasons for a return to Hawaii," says tms147.
- "The Bent Spoon in Princeton, New Jersey: fantastic, intense flavors (some of them herb infused). Guinness; chocolate Earl Grey; sweet New Jersey basil; lavender mascarpone--something like 400 flavors (not all at once though!). Not to be missed!" says ArtfulTiger.
There are tons more reader suggestions; check them out on the bottom of each page of the photo gallery. Know of another spot for standout ice cream? Have a favorite shop you return to at home or on vacation year after year? Share it below!