What Is It: Lipault Paris' 0% Foldable Luggage, a lightweight carry-on that collapses for easy storage when not in use.
Pros: Since I haven't yet achieved my life-goal of having a walk-in closet in my (tiny) city apartment, I'm always on the lookout for luggage that I can store under the bed. The Lipault Paris' foldable carry-on solves my storage problem. It's soft-sided and folds up flat into its own protective four-inch plastic cover. It slides right under the bed or in the back of a cabinet.
I was a little skeptical when I saw the carry-on bag, which clocks in at 22 inches. At first glance it looks small, and I tend to over-pack. (You never know which shoes you'll need on a vacation!) Luckily, the soft-sided bag really expands, making it perfect for a short weekend trip or even a longer journey. The bag also comes in bigger sizes, all the way up to a 30-inch foldable wheeled duffel.
The Lipault is ultra-light for a wheeled bag, weighing around five pounds. The best part of the carry-on is all the little extras that you don't think about until you need them—the handle expands to the perfect height, the wheels are smooth, there's soft padded handles for when you want to carry the bag instead of roll it, and there's outside pockets perfect for storing shoes or dirty clothing and inside pockets for toiletries or small items.
Unlike most soft-sided bags, this one has a hard flap that you can fold down on the bottom to help protect your items and keep the bag's shape. The material, which comes in fun colors like orange and plum (and also standard black and blue) is very luxe feeling and durable, plus it repels water and dirt and wipes clean of general baggage-hold grime.
Cons: The price. At more than $150, this bag is an investment, but at least it has a three-year guarantee.
How it Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. Luggage that doesn't take up a ton of space is great, and this bag is the perfect size for most trips.
- Portability: 10/10. We love that it can be wheeled or carried like a bag and folded away when you don't need it.
- Value: 8/10. Yes, you can get cheaper carry-ons for sure, but this one is just so nice. The soft material is not cheap and gym-bag-like, unlike so many less expensive soft-sided bags.
- Durability: 10/10. The retractable handle is made from aircraft-grade aluminum handles, the zippers are self-healing, and the fabric is extremely tough. This bag will definitely last through a number of trips.
- Cool Factor: 10/10. The colors will stand out on a baggage carousel (mine is a rich purple, but I also love the red and aqua).
Final Verdict: If you're pressed for space and like everything organized, this foldable bag is perfect. Splurge if you can and this bag will last a while. If you don't mind checking a bag, we would recommend upgrading to one of the bigger sizes, as this might be a little small for your needs. (Although you can definitely stuff this bag to the brim and avoid a checked-luggage fee—it's very forgiving!).
Editor's Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and "cool factor." Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews, or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.