What Is It: Clever Travel Companion undergarments with built in zippered pockets to keep your valuables safe.
Price and Where to Buy: $24.90 for the underwear, $34.90 for the tank top at clevertravelcompanion.com.
Pros: Traditional money belts are the worst—they get sweaty and gross against your skin, they add unflattering bulk around your middle, and everyone can tell that you're wearing one. With the Clever Travel Companion, pockets are sewn into your underwear or tank top, giving you (but not thieves) easy hands-free storage for your valuables. The tank top is 100 percent cotton, and the underwear is 95 percent cotton; both are very comfortable.
The pockets on both garments (there are two on the underwear and one on the tank) are the perfect size to hold a passport, credit cards, and some cash. The best part: There's no way a mugger is getting anything out of these pockets unless they're really determined. And you definitely won't get pick-pocketed in these.
We could also see a use for these beyond travel—they would be perfect for occasions when you're going out (like to a concert) and don't want to bring a bag. Just stick your phone and keys in one pocket and ID and a credit card in the other, and you're all set.
Cons: If you're getting carded or need some cash, these garments are kind of awkward. "Hold on, officer, while I reach my hand down my pants for my ID." Definitely carry small cash in an easily accessible purse when wearing these, lest you cause some uncomfortable moments at the check-out. Ladies, opt for the tank top instead of the underwear if you're wearing a dress—otherwise you'll have to excuse yourself to the restroom or risk indecent exposure if you need to retrieve something.
How it Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10 - It's money and clothing in one!
- Portability: 10/10 - You're wearing it—what could be more portable?
- Value: 7/10 - Spending $25 on underwear usually gets you something a little more fashionable, but consider this the price of a money belt and a new item of clothing.
- Durability: 8/10 - The Clever Travel Companion is well-made and will stand up to a number of washings.
- Cool Factor: 7/10 - The point of these is that no one will notice you're wearing anything different—when you take your pants off, we suppose these would be considered cool. The underwear comes in a variety of colors (and stripes) and in a men's version.
Final Verdict: If you're going somewhere with a high risk of pickpockets, staying somewhere where you want to keep your valuables on your body, or just hate carrying a purse, the Clever Travel Companion is worth it.
Editor's Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and "cool factor." Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews, or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.