What Is it: Clark's Quantock Run GTX Shoes for Men
Price and Where to Buy: $119.99 at Amazon ($140 MSRP)
Pros: I'm like most guys. If I could get away with it, I'd bring just one pair of shoes with me on every trip. These shoes would be appropriate for everything from walking in the city to hiking in the wilderness. They'd be just as good for a dressy night out as for as a casual lunch. Being a carry-on-only traveler whenever possible, I covet every square inch of space in my bag. There's no room for dress shoes, casual shoes, sneakers, and hiking boots on most trips. So, imagine my delight when I tested out the versatile Quantock Run GTX shoes from Clark's on a recent trip to Iceland.
They're sturdy but lightweight, with a cushioned midsole and a molded foot bed to provide long-lasting comfort and stability. They're also dressy enough to pass for business casual, but just outdoorsy enough to fit in on the hiking trails, too. The GORE-TEX lining keeps them waterproof and breathable. The firm ankle support kept my lower body steady while scrambling around the lava fields of Iceland's Reykjanes peninsula, and the attractive brown leather fit in just fine with both my khakis and my jeans.
Not having to change shoes between activities is a major plus for space-starved travelers with varied itineraries.
Cons: They scuff easily, which is probably to be expected when you're scrambling around outdoors as often as you are walking in an urban center. A bit of shoe polish takes care of the scuffs, but be forewarned. These aren't L.L. Bean-style steel-toed hiking boots. They'll get the job done on uneven terrain, but I wouldn't use them to, say, hike the Appalachian Trail for a week.
How it Rates:
- Usefulness: 9/10. Ultra versatile, you can wear these Quantock Run GTX shoes for just about any occasion. They could be slightly more convenient at the airport if they were of the slide-on, slide-off variety rather than the lace-up model, but that's a small complaint.
- Portability: 10/10. They're sturdy and compact. They'll take up minimal space in your luggage if you decide to pack them rather than wear them to the airport.
- Value: 8/10. If you buy them just for a trip they may be a bit overpriced, but because they're suited for a variety of situations you can get plenty of use from them long after your trip has ended. I wear mine to the office and on weekends.
- Durability: 9/10. Except for some scuffing, these are very durable. The leather is strong and the shoes keep their shape over time.
- Cool Factor: 8/10. I'm hardly a paragon of fashion myself, but I think they look pretty cool. Rugged chic for the on-the-go guy.
Final Verdict: Comfortable, versatile, attractive, and waterproof—a must buy.
Editor's Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and "cool factor." Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews, or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Photo Credit: Clark's)