Loading Vacation deals...
Let Gatsby Inspire Your Next Trip
Inspired by the May 10 release of The Great Gatsby movie, American Express Travel Insiders came up with a few ideas about how to embrace the spirit of the Roaring Twenties on vacation. Here's a short list:
- Take a Transatlantic Cruise: Cunard's Queen Mary 2 still sails between New York and Southampton, England. Onboard, stay in the '20s swing of things with afternoon tea, watercolor classes, and historical ship tours.
- Celebrate Jazz and Drinking in New Orleans: As a center for jazz and speakeasy culture in the '20s, New Orleans offers visitors plenty of fun chances to relive history. American Express suggests walking tours through the city's Tango Belt in the French Quarter and dinner at Broussard's Restaurant, which opened in 1920.Advertisement
- Explore Long Island's Gold Coast: While many of the fabulous estates dotting the area featured in The Great Gatsby remain private, Oheka Castle Hotel & Estate, which is rumored to be the inspiration for the Gatsby home in the novel, is open to visitors.
- Ride the Train: We're talking first-class rail journeys, not commuter rail here. According to American Express, Pullman Rail Journeys has started "first-class, stand-alone rail experiences in fully restored Pullman Rail Cars from the 1920s and 1930s, traveling between Chicago and New Orleans." The rail company is even offering 25 percent off trips with its Great Gatsby Offer.
- Live Like Gatsby: Take advantage of The Library Hotel's "Great Gatsby Package," which includes cocktails at the rooftop bar, two tickets to a night of jazz at the Jazz Standard, a copy of the novel, and a literary tote bag featuring the cover of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s classic work.
Read comments or add your own insight!