Have lots of Twitter followers and Facebook friends? American Airlines wants you to check out their airport lounge—and hopefully tell everyone about it. The airline has partnered with the social media influence measuring website Klout to give people with a Klout score of 55 or higher a free one-day pass to the American Airlines Admirals Club airport lounge.
Didn't make the cut? You can still enter to win a discount off a yearly membership, a one-day pass, or an annual membership to the club.
The airline is obviously hoping that people give them free advertising for their club lounges (hey, we're writing about it, so it's working!), or that day-pass users will be so impressed that they will shell out the $500 for a yearly membership. So is it worth it? We checked out the Admirals Club in San Juan during a three-hour layover. Here's what we thought:
- Free Wi-Fi.
- Comfortable chairs
- Quiet and uncrowded compared to waiting at the gate
- Free newspapers and magazines
- Clean bathrooms with no lines
- Staff that can help you with any travel questions you may have
- Free ice water, coffee, and tea
- Wi-Fi was slow and kept cutting in and out
- Limited outlets for charging electronics
- Free food was limited to some stale snack mix and a plate of cookies
Was it nice to have somewhere comfortable and quiet to wait instead of spending three hours at the gate? Absolutely. Would it be worth $450 to have access to the lounges for a year? No way. We'd be definitely be hard-pressed to pay just $50 for the one-day pass, even if we had a longer layover.
To check your Klout score and enter the contest, visit this website.You Might Also Like: