Breanna Wilson is the Director of Marketing at ABN Save, a business membership group that offers businesses travel discounts on hotels, car rentals and more from the leading travel companies in the US. Breanna is a travel thought leader who offers a unique perspective on the best ways to travel. She welcomes anyone to reach out to her on Google+ or Twitter.
Hotels are not just a place to rest your head anymore. They have become the ultimate collaboration of artists, architects, chefs, decorators, and media gurus. Staying at a hotel should be an exciting experience, full of variety, surprises and awe. I've recently discovered five particular hotels that push the envelope in creating unique experiences for their guests.
There are so many factors in deciding what made a trip great—the food, the people, and of course, the accommodations. Where you choose to stay can make or break your entire trip, so decide carefully. If you're looking for a hotel to inspire your senses and truly make you feel as if you're living a life you could have only dreamed of, try one of these:
- SLS Hotel; Beverly Hills, CA: The SLS Hotel highhandedly redefined luxury. As soon as you walk in to the private lobby, be prepared to be overwhelmed by sophistication and indulgence. The interior design, courtesy of the imagination of Philippe Starck, is innovative with its unique furniture—over the top and fit for a King— impeccable details and bright accents. Located on one of the main streets of Los Angeles and Beverly Hills, La Cienega Boulevard, the SLS puts you in walking distance to the Beverly Center, shopping on Robertson, and quintessential LA restaurants. Their spa offers services that are out of this world and their pool deck is a state of the art design that will always give you something new to see. During your stay let your inner epicurean run wild and dine with the world famous Chef José Andrés. Try the Air Philly Cheesesteak and American Sturgeon Caviar Cone —I guarantee your dining experience will be unlike any other you've ever had. The SLS is a great choice for someone looking for an overindulgent experience.
- Ace Hotel; New York City, NY: If you want to experience how life in New York should be lived, you'll want to stay at the Ace Hotel. As soon as you walk in, you'll quickly be taken back to a time before the present, when New York was all about being glamorous, decadent and prosperous. I imagine Hemingway as a frequent inhibitor of this place. Fast forward to the present and you'll find a hotel created by innovative artists and designers. The rooms aren't flashy, yet they're stunningly gorgeous, and no two rooms are the same. Modern, yet still with an old school vibe, the rooms are homey and packed with all of the amenities you need—free Wi-Fi, flat screen TVs, turntables, refrigerators and maybe most importantly, a fully stocked mini-bar. Located in the middle of Manhattan, the Ace Hotel is central to everything, making it a solid choice for anyone who plans on exploring as much of New York City as they can.
- Cosmopolitan; Las Vegas, NV: If you're looking for the definition of grandiosity, the Cosmopolitan gives it in droves! With gigantic chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, distorting pink and blue neon lights, it's as if you just stepped into a Genie's bottle decorated by the most famous artists in the world, literally. Located on The Strip, this hotel offers great bars, restaurants, and one of the most hyped night and day clubs in the city - Marquee. Something as simple as going to have a drink at the lounge will make you feel like the Genie's master and treated like him too!
- North Block Hotel; Yountville, CA: Located in beautiful Napa Valley, CA, this hotel is perfect for food and wine enthusiasts. A bit quieter than some of my other choices, this hotel is perfect for a romantic weekend getaway. Situated in walking distance from Bouchon Bistro and French Laundry, two of the best restaurants in the world according to critics, North Block has everything a foodie like me wants. Not to mention, the wine selections are incredible. Travelers that come through Napa are always friendly and eager to try new things, creating an atmosphere conducive to exploration and new experiences.
- ACME Hotel Company; Chicago, IL: ACME is a modern take on the hotel stay. Its urban vibe is hip meets bohemian. The artwork, furniture, and carpeting will not only tickle your senses, they'll make you feel as if you're where you were always meant to be. Located in downtown Chicago, inches away from Magnificent Mile, the ACME Hotel is constantly changing their styles of service, leaving a sense of unpredictability in the best way possible. They even have a “Hair of the Dog” add-on—how cool is that! For an extra $25, the ACME Hotel will stock your room with two bottles of Powerade, two packets of aspirin and a $10 gift certificate to MBurger, because who doesn't love a great burger after a long night out on the town. In a hotel where the unexpected can happen, you can always expect a brag-worthy experience.
Travel Like You've Always Wanted To
Think about it. You go on vacation to escape. To live the life you've always dreamed of. To create the experiences you've always thought about having. Start living out your fantasy by booking a reservation in a hotel that can live up to ideals beyond your imagination.
Want to be a guest blogger for SmarterTravel? Read up on our Guest Blogger Policy, and then send your story pitch to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Guest blog submission." If we like your idea, we'll ask you to write the post!