One Month Left for British Airways' 100,000-Mile Bonus
Lucrative credit card bonuses come and go, typically with no advance notice. One day the sign-up bonus is eye-popping, the next it's just ho-hum.
That's certainly been the case with one of the most generous credit card promotions ever, for the Chase-issued British Airways Visa Signature card.
Although it began with no notice, we at least now know when it will end. It has been confirmed that the current version of the offer will end on June 7, probably to be replaced by the previous 50,000-Avios bonus.
Here's what's on offer for the time being:
- 50,000 bonus Avios after the first purchase charged to the card;
- Another 25,000 bonus Avios after charging $10,000 to the card within the first year; and
- An additional 25,000 bonus Avios after charging a total of $20,000 within the first year.
- Annual fee: $95.
- Annual percentage rate: variable, prime rate plus 11.99 percent, currently 15.24 percent.
- Cardholders earn 2.5 Executive Club miles for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases, 1.25 miles for every $1 spent on other purchases.
- Cardholders receive a free companion award ticket every year they charge $30,000 to the card.
- There's smart chip technology, so the card can be used for chip-and-PIN card purchases in Europe.
- No foreign transaction fees.
The Executive Club Caveat
As always, when discussing British Airways' Executive Club program, the issue of sky-high fuel surcharges on award tickets must be raised.
While it's possible to get solid value by redeeming Avios for flights on British Airways' partner airlines, it does require extra work to circumvent the most noxious fees.
Reader Reality Check
If you're an Executive Club member, how have you made good use of your Avios?
This article originally appeared on FrequentFlier.com.