Give a Valentine, Get More Miles and Points
Valentine's Day has become a reliable opportunity for the miles-and-points set to do well (add to their loyalty program balances) by doing good (giving gifts to loved ones).
As in the past, this year's best deals tend to be offered by the online florists. But it's not just about roses and tulips. Many of the florists' offerings go well beyond the predictable bouquets to include candy, cookies, stuffed animals, jewelry, and so on.
Case in point (and a subtle suggestion for anyone considering a V's Day gift for me): a bottle of Dom Perignon and a box of Godiva truffles ($249.99 at FTD).
For the procrastinators, both FTD and Teleflora offer same-day flower delivery through their networks of local florists.
Among the miles and points bonuses from the online florists:
- Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan - 1,000 miles per Teleflora order
- American AAdvantage - 30 miles per dollar spent at FTD, plus an additional 100 miles for Citi AAdvantage cardholders
- Delta SkyMiles - 35 miles per dollar spent at 1800FLOWERS
- JetBlue TrueBlue - 20 points per dollar spent at FTD
- Southwest Rapid Rewards - 1,000 points on orders of $29.99 or more at Teleflora
- United Mileage Plus - 30 miles per dollar spent at FTD, plus an additional 150 miles for MileagePlus credit card holders
- US Airways Dividend Miles - 25 miles per dollar spent at FTD
- Virgin America Elevate - 300 bonus points per FTD order
- Best Western Rewards - 2,500 points per FTD order
- InterContinental Priority Club - 2,000 points per Teleflora order
- Wyndham Rewards - 600 bonus points per FTD order
Reader Reality Check
Do you plan to earn miles or points for Valentine's Day gifts? How?
This article originally appeared on FrequentFlier.com.